Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mammy-O-Grammy


To have a mammogram or NOT to have your breast squeezed in a cold, hard, vice more powerful than George Foreman pressing down on a grill? The controversy continues and according to an independent group of researchers, it's ok NOT to get them checked until you are in your 50's. REEEEALLLY? That news could have saved me alot of bullshit over the years. I've gone to the mammologist five times in the last ten years and everytime it's as if I put all my chips down on the roulette table. It's the 21st century and I still have put "my hands in the air like I just don't care" in order for them to get a good shot of my headlights. When that machine comes down on my breast, its so cold, I feel inclined to pee............just a little, but I flex the ole' kegels and put on a smile. Olan Mills was a breeze compared to this. After that, there is the waiting while the doctor looks at the film. There should be posters in the room while people nervously sit on their hands. "Hey, don't worry about chemo, all the cool kids are doing it", or "Bald is the new blonde". Cancer doesn't run in my family, it sprints, and my job is to be accountable to my friends and family by trying to stay alive. I will continue to get them no matter what the doctors say because I don't want to be running around in a T-shirt that says, "Lymphnomaniac".

No comments:

Post a Comment