Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympics

Hey, sorry I haven't written in so long. I think about it, and then if I don't write it down, I don't seem to remember. You should see the amount of post-it notes I put in recycling per week. Thank goodness some things are somewhat involuntary, for example, wiping, breathing, sleeping and eating, otherwise I would be a shitty, breathless, insomniatic anorexic. I have been watching the Olympic games in Vancouver the past week. I was in high school and lived 9 miles from Lake Placid in 1980. The thrill of it all comes back to me every four years regardless of what region of the world the Olympics are taking place. I admire the athletes,resent Bob Costas, and like all competitions, admire those who give it their all regardless of the outcome. I was that athlete in some respects, but in others I put myself ahead of my team. In hindsight I see how I put my aspirations first. An Alex Rodriguez without the talent. I would play so hard expecting to win and when we didn't I became resentful and not communicate. I never learned how to. I was extremely immature and when I watch some of these sports I can see myself in so many others. The irony is that I have all that knowledge and now my body can't produce the kind of athletisism I once had. A real winner is someone who has both the humility to know that you can't always win and that if you give it everything you have, that is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment